Monday, March 1, 2010
You MUST "Know This"
My friend introduced this video to me awhile back. At first, I was just in love with the song. It's a sweet song about being in love with someone and them not knowing your true, genuine feelings. The song's beautiful because the piano makes a perfect background for the layering of beats and rhymes. But what really makes this piece is the video accompanying.
At first the video appears simple; each performer holding the camera, standing in front, carefully saying their rhymes, nothing too crazy. If you look carefully though, there are many elements that bypass the eye that make this video visually stimulating.
Take the four performers, they are all split into four categories: blue, yellow, red and brown. Each performer has their own color that is used to highlight them when it's their turn. Take a look at each segment and you will see that the browns of the tree are brown-er, the sky in the background is blue-er, etc. Every last detail about each segment is perfected in order to present the certain color. The performers are even wearing items of clothing that are the color of their category.
There is also a record player that is repeated throughout the video. The layering of the record player on top of the images seems to serve as a divider between one performer to the next one. It's a simple addition, but allows the segments to stay connected throughout the video.
What I really love about this piece, is that I feel as if I am apart of the video. The camera (which I believe is being held by each performer) makes it seem as if the performer and myself are staring into each other's eyes. It's as if the video and the song were created for you and you are watching it without any visual separation.
THIS IS MY POST FOR MARCH 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It's a strange feeling -- in a good way -- when something that isn't intimate -- video, television, film -- can create that sense of intimacy. Have you ever had the flash of feeling that someone on the television could actually see into your home? When I've had that feeling, it's been because something they've done on the screen has made a connection to me sitting on the couch in my living room. I think you're spot on that an attention to details -- and how we perceive details -- is critical to creating that sense of intimacy.
ReplyDelete